Archive

Archive for February, 2011

vimeo OEmbed service rejects Apache Commons Http Client User Agent

February 24th, 2011 2 comments

Recently I was working on implementing an OEmbed client for work, and I spent a while trying to figure out why an oembed lookup worked in firefox, but not in my Java Service…

The url was:  http://www.vimeo.com/api/oembed.xml?url=http://vimeo.com/17853047&maxwidth=320&maxheight=200&format=xml

For whatever reason, everytime I was making the request in my service I was receiving a 404 error.  I used tamper data in Firefox 3.6 to remove ALL headers except the host header, and it worked…  So, I set the user agent for apache commons HttpClient to a mozilla user agent string instead of the default “Jakarta Commons-HttpClient/3.1”  Just to verify this was the problem, I used tamper data again to set the User Agent for a request from firefox to “Jakarta Commons-HttpClient/3.1” and I received a 404 error…

The User-Agent string I used is: “Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101206 Ubuntu/10.04 (lucid) Firefox/3.6.13”

Categories: Social Media, workarounds Tags: